- April 4, hunting and rodeo presentations
- March 28--your blog post and proof of visit is due
Is it ethical to use animals as food?
- No, we should be vegans--(a) authors we've already studied (who?), (b) Norcross
- Yes, it can be ethical--(a) authors we've already studied (who?), (b) 4 defenses (Frey, George, Davis, Pollan)
- It would be more ethical after genetic engineering (Shriver)
- Impact--on animals, on environment
- Nutrition--can a vegan diet be healthy?
- Taste--does a vegan diet taste good?
IMPACT--on animals, on environment
- About 10 billion land animals die annually in food production in the US
- 218 million are killed by hunters, in animal shelters, research, product testing, dissection, and fur farms (2% of total killed)
- Factory farming (vast majority of US farming)
- Reformed factory farming
- Boutique humane farming
- Perfectly painless farming
- Plant farming (animals still killed, but accidentally)
The Meatrix (about history of factory farming) (we'll watch)Broiler Chickens (for meat)
Glass Walls (PETA video)
Treatment: debeaking, very short lives, crowding (20,000 per barn), ammonia fumes, collapsing under own weight (see Food Inc.)
Laying hens (for eggs)
What happens to the males?
|Looking down into a dumpster - discarded male chicks|
Treatment: crowding (each chicken has less space than a piece of typing paper), debeaking
Slaughter of chickens: thrown on trucks, long trip, no water, shackled upside down, dragged through electrified water, throats slit, more about slaughter
Treatment: crowding, tail-docking, sow crates
An industry video about phasing out of sow crates: http://www.smithfieldfoods.com/responsible-operations/animal-care (scroll down)
Treatment: castration, branding, range life until 8 months, feedlot for several months; corn diet, antibiotics, hormones
More info: Power Steer
Treatment: separation from calves, over-milking, mastitis, BST
What happens to the males? (read about sexed semen)
Good account of modern dairy farm here
Veal facts (old method)
Slaughter of pigs, cattle
Transported on hot, crowded trucks
Animals shot in head with stun gun, lose consciousness (ideally)
Hoisted upside-down, throats slit
Animals killed at a rate of 400 per hour
Temple Grandin reforms: more auditing, curved chute
some issues: seine fishing, bycatch, how fish die, dwindling stocks, endangered speciesEnvironmental impact
NUTRITION: can a vegan diet be healthy?
- Indifferent omnivore (eat anything tasty)
- Compassionate omnivore (consider the source--humane standards)
- Vegetarian/Compassionate (no meat, consider the source of eggs, dairy)
- Vegan (100% plant-based)
TASTE: does a vegan diet taste good?
Did you enjoy your vegan meal?